Honey Castella

November 12, 2012 @ 5:04 pm (Permalink)

Lately, I’ve been buying my mum these “castella” bread from Paris Baguette. The most recent one I bought was the green tea one, and my dad ended up liking it, too, so I decided to try making castella. I found this recipe, and I decided to try the honey version. I ended up making two batches, and I learned three very important thing about baking.

1) Making a meringue-type batter must NOT have a single drop of egg yolk. My mum, who doesn’t bake much, helped me separate the eggs, but a tiny bit of yolk went in, and she said the small amount will not matter. Uh, I learned it did.
2) An electric mixer is a wonderful, wonderful tool.
3) Parchment paper are EVIL.

Okay, my last lesson is not really a lesson, but the paper did drive me crazy to the point of extreme frustration. That aside, the castella did turn out GREAT. So moist, so soft, and way better than any store-bought castella I’ve tried up to date! I will now have to attempt chocolate castella next time!

Honey Castella
2/3 cup (100g) bread flour, sifted
4 egg whites at room temperature
4 egg yolks at room temperature
1/2 cup (110g) sugar
2 tablespoons honey diluted with 2 tablespoons of hot water

1. Preheat the oven at 325 degree Fahrenheit and line a 9.25 x 5.25 x 2.75 loaf pan with aluminium foil. On top of the foil, line it with parchment paper.
2. Beat the egg whites until foamy. Then gradually add the sugar and beat until the mixture reaches a firm peak.
3. Add the egg yolks one at a time and mix.
4. Add the flour and honey mixture and mix well.
5. Pour the batter through a sieve into the prepared pan.
6. Bake for 55-60 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
7. As soon as you take it out of the oven, drop the pan from about one foot in the air onto the counter to prevent shrinking.
8. Cool a bit, and then turn the cake upside down onto a parchment paper. Take off the first wrapper and then wrap the whole thing in a plastic wrap.
9. Refrigerate overnight (or a few hours) and enjoy!

6 Responses to “Honey Castella” | Filed Under: Food

1. Jojo on November 13, 2012 @ 10:04 am #

AHHH I hate parchment paper too! Every time I make a cake, it sticks like crazy and I end up thinking “what was the point in using this?!” But I’ve learnt the trick is to coat in loads of margarine or cooking oil. This makes it peel off easily from the cake or bread :) The castella bread sounds so yummy by the way.

[Reply]

2. Thao on November 14, 2012 @ 4:34 am #

Ooh what exactly is castella? I’ve never heard of it. Is it like pound cake?

[Reply]

3. Cat on November 15, 2012 @ 1:49 am #

Looks good! I don’t think I’ve had castella before, so I’m not sure what it is though XD;;

I actually like parchment paper! I only use it for cookies though, so I don’t have to clean the baking sheet afterward. For cakes, I prefer baking spray on the pan, then putting it on a cooling rack after it bakes.

[Reply]

4. Nancy on November 18, 2012 @ 11:41 am #

I have always seen these types of bread before, but I never knew it was called a castella! It looks really delicious and with the honey flavoring, I am sure it tastes better than the ones you buy from the store ;). I never knew how so little yolk made a big difference! Hope you both enjoyed the honey castella regardless :)

Truth be told, there are so many James Bond films. I only watched like one or two before :X.

Take care :)

[Reply]

5. Georgie on November 18, 2012 @ 8:47 pm #

Oh my gosh you have such nommy posts. I need to bookmark all your posts so James and I can try making some of this stuff next time I’m at his place. XD

I’ve had castella but have never really looked into making it. Thanks for this post! :)

[Reply]

6. Gayle on November 19, 2012 @ 9:37 pm #

I’ve never heard of castella before! I’m definitely going to try this, I am trying to learn baking, you see, I recently bought a recipe book about baking, and I’m so gonna add this recipe! Thank you for this!

[Reply]