I’ve been wanting to try Boston Brown Bread, but I do not have the time to steam the darn thing for that long. Plus the steaming process looks way too complicated for me, so I decided to try these muffins instead.
Boston Brown Bread Muffins
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup rye flour
1/2 cup stone-ground yellow cornmeal
1/4 cup granulated or brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup molasses
1 lightly beaten egg
1 cup raisins (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400-degrees. Place cupcake cups in a muffin pan.
2. In a bowl combine the flours, cornmeal, sugar, baking soda and salt.
3. In another bowl stir together the buttermilk, oil, molasses and egg until blended.
4. Add the dry mix to the wet mix; stir until just combined. Stir in the raisins.
5. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pans. Bake for approximately 15 minutes or until done.
The recipe I followed was supposed to give me 10 muffins. I ended up with 12, almost 13. I wasn’t sure how this was going to taste, but I just tried one, and wow, it’s really good! And I am not even fond of molasses flavouring, but it was really subtle and nice in these muffins. It’s really fantastic! Not too sweet, and I love the cornmeal crunchiness to them. Looks like this recipe is a hit!