Misdiagnosis of the Century pt. II

November 14, 2008 @ 11:38 pm (Permalink)

Last December, I thought I had a sinus infection but turned out to be tonsilitis.

This November, I decided I had the cold or flu or some sort that began in about late September. However, I decidedly came to the conclusion, where after coughing and being stuffy for more than a month, that I must have some sort of a new infection.

I hauled my arse to the International Clinic in Itaewon instead of going to one of the Korean clinics in my neighbourhood because I wanted a doctor who can speak English to me instead of confusing me with Korean medical terminology. After a five-minute consultation that cost me 30,000 won (about $27), I’ve discovered that I’m suffering from acute sinusitis and need to take antibiotic, which cost me about 40,000 won ($37) for the next two weeks.

BLARGH!

I. Am. SICK. Of. Being. SICK. !@#$!@#$!@#$!@#$!@#$ In the past year, no thanks to my previous job of being a day care worker, I’ve come to the conclusion that I HATE any words that ends in “-itis”. Seriously! Here’s my lovely health assessment for the year:

• Tonsillitis in December
  • Cold/flu in January
  • Cold/flu in February
  • Bronchitis in March
  • Cold/flu in April
  • Tonsillitis in May
  • Tonsillitis continued into June
  • Cold/flu in July
  • Cold/flu in August
  • Cold/flu in September
  • . . . which turned into Acute Sinusitis in October
  • . . . which I still have Acute Sinusitis in November

WHAT A MISERABLE YEAR. I’ve become so dependent on pills, medicinal syrups, Korean herbal teas, and antibiotic this year. My god, I’m a walking bloody pharmacy. I want 2009. I hope to not see a bloody effing pill in 2009!

5 Responses to “Misdiagnosis of the Century pt. II” | Filed Under: Pissed Off-ness, Work

1. Becca on November 15, 2008 @ 3:48 am #

Oy! Do you get proper exercise? sleep? fruits and veggies? Do you wash your hands enough >_< I used to get sick more often when I didn’t wash my hands regularly because the germs outside and a random rub on the nose = COLD FLU! evil.

[Reply]

2. Paul on November 15, 2008 @ 4:37 am #

Just wanted to say I love the domain name! I typed in “aigoo” hoping there would be a Wikipedia article on it, but this is good enough :P

[Reply]

3. Belinda on November 15, 2008 @ 7:30 am #

Damn incompetent doctors!! I’m so sorry you’re getting sick all the time, maybe things will be better now that you don’t have to work with germy little kids any more. I hate the feeling of being sick, it must be awful to fee it all the time!

[Reply]

4. Thao on November 15, 2008 @ 12:21 pm #

Wow, that is insane. Have you tried the flu shot? Maybe that might be able to help lower your chances. Hopefully 2009 will be a much more healthy year for you.

[Reply]

5. Ongaku on November 18, 2008 @ 6:27 am #

Sounds like you really need a tonsillectomy. Sucky thought, but it really does work wonders with keeping you from getting those kind of illnesses over and over. My sister had the same problem all through out high school and we finally decided to get her tonsil taken out. She hasn’t’ been sick like that ever since.

I got mine taken out when I was a lot younger because I couldn’t even swallow.

Next time you have a bad attack ask about taking them out and see if you can get someone to look at them and decide if they need too (meaning a specialist).

Anyway, it sucks that you keep getting sick though. Hope you feel better as soon as possible!

[Reply]